Thursday, March 12, 2009

Z is for...

Ziplock Omelet

*Yeah, I am finished with the alphabet posting! It only took me almost a whole year. I am such a slow blogger, but I feel like I have accomplished something. :)

Who knew that you can make a perfectly good omelet in a ziplock bag? I knew those baggies were convenient, but I never knew you could use them for this. :) This is great if you have company and they all want something different in their omelet.


  • Have each person write their name on a quart-size Ziploc freezer bag with permanent marker.


  • Crack 2 eggs (large or extra-large) into the bag (not more than 2), shake to combine them.

  • Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheeses, ham, onion, green pepper, tomato, hash browns, salsa, etc. Each guest adds prepared ingredients of choice to their bag and shake.


  • Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.


  • Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. For more, make another pot of boiling water.


  • Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily.


I haven't tried this yet, but my mother's friend said it works great. I have "borrowed" some pictures to post on here so you could see the finished product. If you try it, you must let me know how it turns out. I plan to try it soon and hopefully Jason won't think I have lost my mind cooking breakfast in a ziplock bag. :)

2 comments:

Kirby and Carol Love said...

Leigha- I have had this once at Jeff's sister's house.They were fun to fix and also delicious! They are great when you hsve several people to feed.

Jason and Leigha said...

Mrs. Carol, thank you so much for letting me know. I will definitely have to try them when my family comes in town. :)

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker